Saturday, January 19, 2008

A new "to-be-felted" bag.....

This is my project of the moment. I have been knitting this for about 5 days on and off. I have to sit for a bit during the day doing a market research project with a company close to home, so there are moments I can sneak a few rows in. I am on row #56, (counting only the body of the bag) not including the bottom. You knit that first, going back and forth, as if you were on straight needles (but you are on circulars). Then, you pick up stitches along the sides and work in the round. I got this pattern from a knitting book at the library (my favorite hangout) and realized I needed some added information from it that I didn't copy, so I am hoping to find that particular book again. The pattern is from a lady by the name of Janet Scanlon and she has a great website that she sells her patterns called http://www.knitkit.com/. I would like to try the Oregon bag next, but I have to see how this comes out first. I have been using two strands, held together, of Lamb's Pride (the wool and mohair mix) even though she said to only use one for the body of the bag. She used two held together for the base for added strength, but said to drop one when you get to the body. I have used only one strand before and it didn't feel as good to me. I like that extra body the two strands give the bag and since I carry EVERYTHING in my purse, the stronger the better. I plan to add a strip of soft purple to the top of this when I get to a certain point with the brown (or when I eventually run out of the brown, which ever comes first.) I miss my LYS since it has sadly gone out of business. Now, another one that is close by is about to close as well. The big chain stores are pushing all of the nice "Mom & Pop shops" out. I don't get that nice "extra special" yarn from the big stores. Frown... Well, I need to make some dinner before my troops start hollering for me. Happy knitting to you or what ever it is that makes your heart happy.

1 comment:

Karen said...

That's going to be so pretty. Yes, I'm upset about our LYS too. :(